In addition to giving back to our communities through our charity initiatives, Syniverse is committed to demonstrating environmental leadership in all of our business activities. As part of our efforts to strengthen our commitment to cleaner and more efficient operations, we have established specific focus areas for our sustainability program, and we continue to consider other areas in which we can improve our environmental impact. We are dedicated to building on the initiatives below to constantly improve the environmental performance of our operations and services.
For each of our environmental sustainability focus areas, we have developed broad strategic goals and specific key performance indicators to better evaluate our performance. Below are our current goals that we are focusing on and measuring:
Leadership and Employee Engagement
- Continue to secure outstanding scores from the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP).
- Reduce Scope 3 emissions by helping employees reduce work-related vehicle miles traveled. Scope 3 emissions are generated indirectly from activities that can involve the extraction and production of purchased materials and from transport-related activities in vehicles not owned or controlled by the organization.
Energy Efficiency and Climate
- Reduce Scope 2 carbon emissions and Scope 1 emissions 10 percent below 2010 baseline levels at Syniverse’s largest facilities. Scope 2 emissions are indirect emissions from consumption of purchased electricity, heat or steam. Scope 1 emissions are direct emissions from the on-site combustion of natural gas and fuel.
- Maintain companywide carbon emissions (Scope 1 and 2) below 10 metric tons of carbon dioxide for each full-time employee.
Waste Management and Resource Use
- Reduce the number of annual printed page impressions 10 percent below 2013 baseline levels.
- Dedicate at least 5 percent of Syniverse’s annual corporate office supply budget to the purchase of environmentally preferable office products.
- Strengthen water-use-reporting capabilities throughout all corporate offices.
- Develop new intensity targets to monitor corporate water consumption.
Carbon Disclosure Project
In support of our commitment to sustainability, we are a participant with the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), a nonprofit organization and environmental reporting platform that evaluates how well companies and cities disclose and manage the risks and opportunities associated with climate change, water scarcity and resource use. Measuring our efficiency in such areas as greenhouse gas emissions, electricity usage and paper waste is an important part of monitoring progress toward our carbon-reduction goals, and each year Syniverse quantifies and reports energy consumption, water usage, and waste generation data by submitting a report to the CDP. Each of our annual CDP reports can be viewed on the CDP website.
Corporate social responsibility has become a critical element of any successful business. Thanks to our incredibly dedicated employees, we’re pleased with what we’ve accomplished to date, but we also know there is much more that can be done in the future. We look forward to exploring new opportunities to apply our expertise for the betterment of society and to sharing updates on these activities here.